Pages

Monday, April 4, 2011

Movie Monday - The Social Network (spoilers)



I watched this movie over the weekend.  I really don't know why it got all the hype that it did.  It was an ok movie. 

I use Facebook.  I think that it is a great way to keep in touch with family and friends.  I use to be addicted to the games but now not so much.  I don't update my status every day.  I do have my blog posts automatically posted.  I check it about twice a day.  I was interested in learning abit more about the people who crated Facebook. 

What I discovered was Mark Zuckerberg was a genius with little social skills.  Alright the movie was fictionalized but I am sure there is more than a little bit of truth in it.  Mark in the movie was a totally jerk.  His girlfriend broke up with him so he goes back to his dorm and trashes her on line.  His best friend helps him with the algorithm for Facebook and puts up the start up money and Mark turns on him. 

This is not a great advertizement for Harvard as there are brothers in the movie that are total jerks also but hesititate to sue Mark becasue they are Harvard gentlemen (their behavior was totally ungentlemanly).

Money is nice but at what cost.  Mark loses his only friend all over money.  The last scene is truly heartbreaking.  It shows Mark after the lawsuits, sitting at the table of his lawyers and opening Facebook and requesting to befriend his ex girlfriend and then sitting back and refreshing the screen over and over. 

I would recommend seeing it.  Check out the review on PluggedIn  here.  Just not sure if it lives up to all the hype.

1 comment:

Becky K. said...

I had forgotten about this movie. I'll have to put it on my Netflix list.